Thursday, June 14, 2012

DIY: Custom Built-ins

I've always loved the look of built-in bookshelves and have hoped that someday we can install them into our home for that real "custom" look.  My guess, however, is that built-ins cost an arm and a leg--like most fabulous things do.  Now that we've found our new home for the next 2 years, I've started thinking about how I will be decorating it.  In the new place, there is a a great fireplace that protrudes from the wall in the living room and is outfitted with crown mouldings.  On either side is empty wall space.  Are you thinking what I'm thinking?  

How can I create this custom built-in bookcase look I'm after (and on the cheap!)?  Enter the wonderful world of blogging.  Knowing that Ikea sells a very basic and very cheap bookcase known as the "Billy"--all I had to do was Google "built-in Billy bookcases."  Boy oh boy, many ladies have made this DIY happen and have so gloriously shared their step-by-step directions.  Centsational Girl has a great tutorial here, and if I should attempt to tackle this project, I will use her tips and tricks.  Check out her before and afters-- aren't they amazing?

In the meantime, while I ponder the idea of doing these myself, why don't you drool over these beauties...











And why the heck shouldn't our dog have his own built-in bed?  Now who's up for that DIY challenge?




No comments:

Post a Comment